Gomer Junior are committed to supporting children, with home learning, at times of: consolidated learning or pre-teach e.g. at weekends and in times of self-isolation, Bubble closure or whole school closure due to COVID-19.
- Minimises the disruption to pupils’ learning journey
- Utilises the national online learning platform for individuals self-isolating – see Self Isolating Google Classroom
- Utilises Google Classroom for Bubble closure or whole school closure
- Provides school-home engagement which works alongside our safeguarding policy to keep children safe in education
- Endeavours to overcome any barriers to learning at home
- Affords the opportunity for all learners to complete their work to the best of their ability
- Seeks to work with our children to support their social, emotional and mental health needs
We are aware that children may need to learn at home for different reasons. We have identified different scenarios for when children may need to learn at home, due to COVID-19, and have organised provision for these occasions.
When pupils are self isolating they are to access their Self Isolating Google Classroom – this is different to the Google Classroom we use on a weekly basis. The classroom has been populated with a weekly timetable and subjects have been linked to teaching inputs and activities from Oak Academy. Additionally, we have included extra activities which can be used to complement the timetable or used in isolation.
To access your Self Isolating Google Classroom each pupil requires access and access will only be given to pupils recorded as self isolating. The self isolating pupil will be sent an email to join the Self Isolating Google Classroom or pupils can log on to their regular Google Classroom to see the invitation – just click join. When the Self Isolation Google Classroom is joined, on the classwork stream, you will find a timetable of the sessions available. The timetable will guide you to which day to start at. Links to the self isolating Google classroom, accessed by the pupil log in, can be found below. A pupil can apply to join by clicking the link:
When a Bubble is closed , in the first instance, pupils are to access their Self Isolating Google Classroom. If the Class Teacher is well, they will inform parents/carers and pupils when they are ready to move learning to the Google Classroom which will direct learning opportunities and enable some live teaching.
When the whole school is closed, in the first instance, pupils are to access their Self Isolating Google Classroom. If the Class Teacher is well, they will inform parents/carers and pupils when they are ready to move learning to the Google Classroom which will direct learning opportunities and enable some live teaching. The whole school curriculum will move onto the Google Classroom including assemblies, Google Meets, time with LAPS, broadcasts and love teaching. Work is to be submitted via the Google Classroom.
Resources to Support Remote Learning
We have provided an online GFM Primary Phase Bank of online resources to support children whilst learning at home. Pupils at Gomer will see the linked Gomer Portal (see above) as soon as they log onto their Google classroom.
Want to navigate around the Google Classroom? Please access our Google Quick Start Guides
Want to access the government’s online lesson platform? Oak Academy can be accessed by all learners at any time of the academic year. The Oak Academy provides teaching and learning resources for all curriculum areas and can be used for remote learning for every year group. We have aligned Oak Academy units of learning to our own curriculum to support children’s learning journeys. Please see ‘educational provision’ below. Please see video and help sheet of how to access the learning materials. No access to a device? If your child does not have access to a device such as a PC or laptop and/or the internet, it is the parents/carers responsibility to inform the school to discuss alternative arrangements.
We require a commitment from our parents/carers to:
- Account for your child’s attendance as per school policy
- Ensure your child is available to learn remotely (or other agreed method), and that the learning set is completed and to the best of their child’s ability. Please communicate to us if this is not possible.
- Ensure your child attends live lessons in uniform and behaves within the school expectations. If unable to attend schedule live lessons, parents/carers are to inform the school.
- Adhere to the parent/carer home school agreement.
- Adhere to the Online Protocols for successful online learning.
- Report any technical issues to the teacher as soon as possible.
We require a commitment from our pupils to:
- Ensure learning tasks are completed and to the best of their ability.
- Ensure they have access to remote learning material and notify a responsible adult if they do not have access.
- During whole school or Bubble closure attend live lessons or sessions in school uniform.
- Adhere to the Behaviour Policy and Online Protocols for successful online learning.
Gomer School are committed to supporting children, with home learning, at times of: consolidated learning or pre-teach e.g. at weekends and in times of self-isolation, Bubble closure or whole school closure due to COVID-19.