Open Day for 2023-2024 Applications
We love our school and are proud of the children and their many achievements. We welcomed Perspective Parents/Carers to our Open Day on Wednesday 8 November 2023, in the School Hall at 09.00 or 14.30. This was an opportunity to be introduced to the school, meet the school leadership and have a tour of the school. You can see the slides from our 2023 Open Day below. Were you not able to join us? Please do join us for a tour of the school on Monday 13 November at 16.15-16.45.GJS-Open-Day-2023
The application process for Year 3 junior school places opens on Tuesday 31 October 2023. Applications are due by Sunday 14 January 2024. We are aware that choosing the right school for your child was an important one. Parents/carers will be notified of school places for Gomer Junior School on Friday 12 April 2024. Gomer Junior continues to be a very popular choice for our local families!
Transition is a major event not only for a young person but also for the family members that support their child. It is therefore our aim to ensure that the transition journey is enjoyable, informative and exciting. A move to a new school and organisation (GFM) is a significant time for any family. During the transition, every family will receive a warm welcome and opportunities to learn more about the school, Team Gomer, our approach and have opportunities to preview KS2 learning. For some, transition will be an exciting time. For others, this will be a time of nervousness. Whatever ‘change’ means for your child, our established team will ensure that our offer is inclusive and we will endeavour to meet need. You can be confident that Team Gomer are committed to ensuring that all children are given the opportunity to reach their full potential with an understanding that this takes children, as individuals, different amounts of time.
Transition 2024: Y2-Y3
Our Transition Website for our 2024 Year Three learners is live but undergoing some updates. Parents/carers are encouraged to navigate their way around the website, with their child, before formal transition starts – it will be updated by June 2024. Ahead of transition, successful applicants will receive a welcome letter via the post or book bag. Team Gomer are always keen to introduce their junior school community within the GFM. Our New Starters Open Day video was made during lockdown but the content is still relevant and you can watch it below.
Transition Menu 2023 (to be updated for 2024)
To help your child with their transition our menu of activity includes:
- w/b 24 April: Welcome letter sent home with links to the online portal and this Transition Website.
- w/b 1 May: Online portal for parents/carers sharing information becomes live.
- w/b 8 May: Access to a 360 tour – navigate your way around the school and find the embedded videos, audios and slides to find out about learning at Gomer Junior.
- w/b 26 June: Year 3 team to visit pupils in their own school.
- w/b tbc: e mail sent home with Class Teacher, House information and Google Classroom log-ins. Every child is encouraged to log-in to gain familiarity with the online classroom which is used for all Home Learning and live teaching if required (and continued if your child moves to a GFM secondary school). You will find:
- Link 360 Tour – to navigate at your leisure which includes key information and staff appearances.
- Access to online transition activities to prepare for the onsite visit on Thursday 13 July.
- Ongoing support with Google Home Learning throughout their time at Gomer and continue using it if they move to a GFM secondary school.
- Tuesday 4 July: Meet Team Gomer. Child and parent/s to attend a Welcome Meeting in the School Hall at 3.30pm and access a carousel of activities. It will be difficult for us to accommodate younger or older siblings so please aim to make alternative arrangements for them.
- FROGJS Y2/Y3 disco – July date TBC
- Thursday 13 July: children to spend the whole day at Gomer Junior School – they will need a packed lunch (provided if child in receipt of FSM)
Friday 1 September: Y3 only will return to the school site as part of their transition. Whole school to return to the school site on Monday 4 September.
We will do everything we can to support every child with their transition to Gomer Junior. For some, this will be an exciting time. For others, this will be a time of nervousness. Whatever ‘change’ means for your child our established team will ensure that our continued offer is inclusive and will endeavour to meet need. We look forward to working in collaboration with our parents and carers and, the time when we can meet in person.